Saturday, June 16, 2012

Day 06 - A book that makes you sad


The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay, by Michael Chabon

"Sad" is an understatement. This book did not make me sad so much as it tore me to pieces. It took me a very long time to read because there were periods where I just couldn't carry on. I had to set it aside. I remember when I got into the latter half, where shit gets messy, there was one day where I put it down and literally curled up on the floor for a while. I also remember going to see some light-hearted musical one evening after reading some tough shit and being unable to focus on the musical, because what I had read that day was still digging into my gut. This is one of the hardest books I've ever read. It was also, as you'll hear round and about, a very fine work.

No comments:

Post a Comment