Saturday, January 21, 2012

The Archangel G. K.


G. K. Chesterton and his glorious prose make me feel inadequate and want to ragequit writing.

But I'm not going to! Take THAT, G. K. Chesterton!

Today's Tarot card was Justice reversed:

(only upside down)

The meaning includes "inequality" and "being taken advantage of."

Today's Rilke quote was a poem about wrestling angels, which reminds me of that bit in Angels in America where Joe talks about seeing the picture of the angel wrestling the man and how it just wasn't fair that a mere human should have to fight something so powerful as an angel. Rilke isn't far from that point (maybe without the homoerotic aspect), talking about how winning need not be the goal:

His growth is this: to be defeated
by even greater forces.

So there's like honor in losing, basically. Or in standing up to a divine force, trying to achieve that same greatness and possibly failing.

G. K. Chesterton is the angel in this metaphor. I'm sure he'd be pleased.

Excuse me I'm gonna go write some imperfect prose.

No comments:

Post a Comment